Jump over the site's section navigation.

2.1.21 Undergraduate Academic Standing, Probation, and Reinstatement

Academic Good Standing

To maintain academic good standing, a student must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. The number of semester hours completed includes all college work done by the student. However, only the grades earned at Illinois State are used in computing the GPA.

For satisfactory progress for financial aid purposes, see Satisfactory Progress Policy in the Undergraduate Catalog. "Academic Good Standing" status is necessary for continued enrollment in the University and may be necessary for eligibility to serve on various University committees and for participation in some co-curricular activities.

Academic Good Standing status does not guarantee admission to, or retention in, specific departments, schools, or programs. Information concerning admission to and retention in specific programs is listed in the Undergraduate Catalog under the appropriate department, school, or program descriptions.

Academic Warning

Each semester (fall and spring), the University identifies students that appear to be in jeopardy of being placed on academic probation.  These students will be notified that they are on Academic Warning.  Students on Academic Warning can contact University College for guidance on programs and services geared toward improving their academic standing.  Information about Academic Warning can be obtained from University College, 324 Fell Hall, Campus Box 4060, http://universitycollege.illinoisstate.edu/advising/warning/ at  or at (309) 438-2157.

Academic Probation

When students' cumulative grade point average falls below a 2.00 on a 4.00 scale, they are placed on academic probation.  Students on academic probation are required to participate in Project Success - a program designed to assist students in returning to good academic standing.  Information about Academic Probation and Project Success can be obtained from University College, 324 Fell Hall, Campus Box 4060, at http://universitycollege.illinoisstate.edu/advising/probation, or at (309)438-2156.

Academic Dismissal

At the end of any semester, except for summer session, when a student's cumulative grade point average is below a 2.00 a second or subsequent time, he or she is dismissed from the University.

Academic Reinstatement

Students dismissed from the University may petition the Reinstatement Committee for permission to continue.  Petition information is sent to the student’s home address. Failure to act upon such request within the deadlines specified in that information will assure non-attendance. Therefore, students should keep their addresses current.  Additionally, students can access petition information via My.IllinoisState.edu or by visiting University College's website at http://universitycollege.illinoisstate.edu/advising/dismissal/.

Reinstatement from Dismissal

After a student has been academically dismissed from Illinois State University and has not been enrolled at Illinois State for a complete fall or spring semester, a student may petition for reinstatement.  Petitioning to return to Illinois State involves the following: 

  1. Meeting university-wide readmission requirements and deadlines; and
  2. Being reinstated by the University Reinstatement Committee. 

Application procedures, reinstatement information and deadlines can be found at University College's website at http://universitycollege.illinoisstate.edu/advising/dismissal/.  Reinstated students are required to participate in either Project Rebound or Project Success -  programs designed to assist students in returning to Academic Good Standing.

If a student attends any other higher educational institution after dismissal from Illinois State, he or she must indicate such attendance on the readmission application and supply an official transcript from the other school(s). Students must have earned a C average (2.00/4.00) or higher for all course work taken since last attending Illinois State and have been in good academic standing at the last institution attended as a full or part-time student.

If a student leaves the University after academic probation, readmission to the University is evaluated to determine the best path to graduation.

Repeated failures to do satisfactory work may result in permanent exclusion from the University.

Initiating body: Enrollment Management & Academic Services

Contact: University College (309-438-3217)

Revised on: 11/2017

2020-12-04T13:10:51.711-06:00 2020