Jump over the site's section navigation.

2.1.14 Withdrawal Policy


Illinois State administrators and faculty strongly advise students to complete all courses in which they enroll.  Students should consider withdrawing from courses after the program change period only after they have exhausted all other options.  Students should speak with their academic advisor or the Dean of Students office before withdrawing from a class or classes.

I.  Dropping a Course or Courses

The following policy applies to students who drop a course or courses but maintain an enrolled status within the University:

If a student withdraws from a course during the program change period, notice of withdrawal will not appear on the student's transcript.  (A student should consult the Registrar's website www.registrar.ilstu.edu to obtain specific dates.)

If a student withdraws from a full-semester course after the tenth day of classes but prior to the end of the eighth week of classes during any regular semester, a grade of WX will appear on the student's transcript.  A student may initiate this process of withdrawal by reporting to the Office of the University Registrar Service Center, 107 Moulton Hall.  Information on the process can also be found on the Office of the University Registrar's website.

A student should consult the Office of the University Registrar Service Center for questions regarding adjustment in charges for specific withdrawal dates during any instructional term.  For courses taken during a term lasting less than a regular semester, a proportional withdrawal date and adjustment of charges will apply.

A grade of F will be given to students who (1) fail to officially withdraw from a course in compliance with the above procedure; or (2) register for a course but do not complete course requirements.

A student may make a written request for a late withdrawal if circumstances reasonably beyond the control of the student have prohibited the student from attending classes, completing the semester, and/or fulfilling the requirements of the course.  To make this request, the student must provide proper documentation substantiating the rationale for withdrawal.  If the request is based upon medical circumstances, for example, the student will need to include a physician's statement or hospital records.  If approval is granted, a grade of WX will appear on the student's transcript.

II.  Dropping All Courses

The following policy applies when a student drops all courses in which he or she is enrolled, an action known as Withdrawal from the University. Students are strongly advised to complete courses in which they are enrolled and not to withdraw from the University unless absolutely necessary.

Before the end of the twelfth week of classes during any regular semester, a student shall report to the Registrar Service Center in 107 Moulton Hall or write to the Office of the University Registrar at Campus Box 2202 to withdraw from the University.

If a student's written request, including appropriate supporting documentation, to withdraw from the University is granted, all grades will be assigned in the same manner and under the same provisions as the regular course withdrawal guidelines except that the instructor of each course assigns a WX or letter grade as appropriate depending on the date and circumstances of withdrawal.

If medical or other reasons make it impossible for the student to follow the usual procedures, the student must submit a signed letter requesting withdrawal that explains the situation and provides appropriate documentation.  Withdrawals made by mail are addressed to Office of the University Registrar, Illinois State University, Campus Box 2202, Normal, IL 61790-2202, or faxed to (309)438-8652 or emailed from the student's Illinois State University email account to registrar@ilstu.edu

Regardless of the circumstances of withdrawal, the student is responsible for returning any laboratory equipment and library materials and paying any parking fines. The student must contact the University Housing Services to obtain clearance from room and board obligations and to arrange for vacating the residence hall room. The student should contact the Financial Aid Office to determine the impact the withdrawal will have on current and future financial aid.   Arrangements for payment of loans must be made in the Office of Student Accounts. Consult the Office of Student Accounts for information on refunds.

A grade of F will be given to students who (1) do not attend their courses but fail to withdraw from the University before the specified final withdrawal dates, and to students who (2) register for a course but do not complete course requirements. In unusual cases, exceptions may be granted by the University Registrar.

III.  Additional Withdrawal Policies & Procedures

The process for Military Service Withdrawal and School Attendance/Course Examinations can be found on the Office of the University Registrar's website at http://veterans.illinoisstate.edu/withdrawal/


The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal employment opportunities and access to University academic programs, services, and facilities in accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state regulations.

The University has designated the following offices to administer the reasonable accommodation process.  All requests for reasonable accommodation will be handled by these offices.

For applicant or employee requests:

Office of Equal Opportunity, Ethics, and Access Procedures can be found at:http://policy.illinoisstate.edu/conduct/1-3-1.shtml 

For student or members of the public requests:

Office of Disability Concerns

Procedures can be found at http://disabilityconcerns.illinoisstate.edu/

Phone: (309)438-5853






Initiating body: Provost

Contact:  Office of the Provost (309-438-7018)

Revised on: 5/2016

2018-12-07T11:07:18.729-06:00 2018