Capital funds are appropriated by the state of Illinois and are a separate appropriation from operating appropriations for the University. Typical requests made under the Capital Request are funds for:
- Planning of a new building
- Construction of new buildings
- Site work for new buildings
- Utilities for new buildings
- Equipment for new buildings
- Major repair of buildings funded by General Revenue accounts
- Major remodeling of buildings funded by General Revenue accounts
- Rehabilitation of buildings funded by General Revenue accounts
The general appropriation process includes the following steps:
- The University prepares the Capital Appropriation Request.
- The Board of Trustees acts upon the appropriation request and submits it to the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE).
- The IBHE places the Capital Requests in a statewide priority and acts upon requests.
- The data is submitted to the Bureau of the Budget.
- The appropriation bill is drafted and sent to the State Legislature.
- The legislature acts upon the appropriation bill and sends it to the Governor.
- The Governor releases the funds.
- The University obligates and expends the funds.
Capital funds are released to the Capital Development Board. This board coordinates construction and approves all expenditures of theCapital appropriation.