Jump over the site's section navigation.

7.1.27 Court of Claims


General Revenue (10100) and Education Assistance (10200) funds are appropriated for a fiscal year which runs from July 1 through June 30. In addition, payments for goods received/ordered or services rendered/contracted for prior to June 30 may be made against the previous year's appropriation during the two-month lapse period which runs from July 1 through August 31. Occasionally invoices are received too late to be processed during the lapse period. In these cases, the vendor must receive payment through the Court of Claims process. This process is implemented and authorized by Section 9(A) of the Court of Claims Act (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1979, Ch. 37, par. 439.9(A)).

Guidelines for Court of Claims Processing

The University must have lapsed funds in the proper Object Class for a claim to be processed by the Court of Claims. In addition, all claims for services or materials furnished to the University, payment of which has been denied solely because it was not processed during the lapse period, shall be filed with the Clerk of the Court of Claims in the following manner:

  1. Claims shall be initiated by the vendor, by filing with the Clerk of the Court of Claims six (6) copies of a verified lapsed appropriation claim form or facsimile thereof.
  2. Respondents shall confirm or deny that such sum of money or any sum of money is due said claimant.
  3. Claims against no more than one department or State agency shall be included in each complaint.
  4. Claimant's name and address, or that of his/her attorney shall appear at the bottom of the complaint.

There is no filing fee for claims based upon lapsed appropriations or a lost warrant. All claims must be filed within two (2) years after they first accrue.

Note: It may take up to one year for the vendor to receive payment.

Initiating body: Vice President for Finance and Planning

Contact: Comptroller's Office (309-438-5667)

Revised on: 05/2003

2018-01-29T14:21:44.758-06:00 2018