Illinois State University will strive to maintain the security of facilities through strict control of keys. Employees needing regular access to a University facility will be provided with the proper key upon presentation of an authorized key request at the Facilities Management Office on Gregory Street. A minimum twenty-four hour notice may be necessary to fill key requests. Keys for individual residence hall student rooms and university apartments are issued by University Housing Services on University Street.
Key Authorization and Eligibility
- Individual key authorization will be made by the unit for which the facility is currently assigned. Facilities Planning can provide space assignment information if needed. Key request forms for sub-masters, masters, X-keys, and keys for specialized rooms and closets issued by Facilities Management, must receive Dean, Director or Department Head approval. In addition, the Dean, Director or Department Head must submit a letter to the Executive Director of Facilities Management to request sub-master or master keys stating the person is who needs the key(s), the areas where the person needs access, and the reason the person needs access to the areas.
- Building master keys may be issued to appropriate University employees with a written request from the respective Dean, Director or Department Head. Department Administrators are eligible for building master keys when occupying facilities in buildings for which sub-master keys are not available. Employees whose assigned duties require access to all facilities within a given building during working hours, may check out the key(s) from their supervisor at the beginning of the work period and return it prior to leaving at the end of the work period. Authorization for building master keys will be made by the Executive Director of Facilities Management.
- Grand master keys may be issued to appropriate University employees with a written request from the respective Dean, Director or Department Head. Authorization for grand master keys will be made by the Executive Director of Facilities Management.
- Key requests may be completed either on-line or by standard written form. The standard form may be faxed to Facilities Management. The keys will be available 24 hours after Facilities Management receives the request. Deans, Directors or Department Heads must approve each request. Requests are authorized only by Facilities Management, University Housing Services or Campus Dining Services.
- Keys for Apartment Living and Residence Halls will be issued by University Housing Services and/or Facilities Management. All other keys will be issued by the Facilities Management Department. The person authorized to receive the key must present the key order form and University photo ID in person. Keys will not be issued to a third party because the signature of the person authorized to receive the key will be required to verify receipt of the key.
- Duplication of keys to University facilities by any vendor other than Facilities Management or University Housing Services is a violation of University Policy. Possession of unauthorized duplicated keys does not constitute authorization of use and keys are subject to immediate confiscation. Violation may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Key Acquisition & Return for Contractors & Vendors
- Key requests by all Contractors and Vendors must be in written form. Contractors requiring construction keys for projects must receive written authorization from the Illinois State University Project Manager or department representative. All Project Managers shall utilize the appropriate project key request form. All Contractor and Vendor key request(s) require three-day notice prior to distribution.
- Keys for Apartment Living and Residence Halls will be issued by University Housing Services. All other Contractor and Vendor keys will be issued by the Facilities Management Department.
- Contractors and Vendors authorized to receive University key(s) must present photo identification upon receipt of key(s).
- Security deposits are required for all University keys checked out to Contractors and Vendors. Security deposit reimbursements will be mailed to Contractors and Vendors upon completion of their work and when University keys are returned. Project Managers or department representative shall “sign off” the original project key request form prior to distribution of security deposits.
Deposit Rate Schedule For Contractors and Vendors
|Type of Key||University Rate|
|Building Master, Building Submaster, Equipment Rooms & Tunnels, Exterior Door, Construction Master||$250|
|X-Keys (requires written authorization from Facilities Management Executive Director)||$250|
|Elevator, Electrical Panel, Electrical Switch, Janitor Closet||$200|
Responsibility of all Key Holders
- University keys are the property of the State of Illinois. The key holders are subject to all applicable State Statutes in relationship to misuse of state property. The holder of keys to any University facility assumes responsibility for the safekeeping of the key and its use. It is understood that the key(s) will not be made available to unauthorized persons. As an effort to minimize loss or misuse of keys, all University employees are strongly encouraged to leave University keys on University premises in a secure location during non-working periods.
- Lost or stolen keys are to be reported to appropriate supervisors or designees immediately and within 24 hours to Facilities Management or University Housing Services and University Police. Replacement of lost key(s) will require a new key request per the Key Acquisition Section of this policy. Consequences of lost key(s) may result in disciplinary action or fee assessment to the holder of the key(s).
Key Replacement Costs
|Type of Key||University Rate|
|Individual Door Key||$15.00|
|Janitor Closet Key||$25.00|
Room/Suite Door Key
|Equipment Room Key||$25.00|
*Department using keys may charge additional fee that constitutes a disciplinary deterrent.
Illinois State employees changing positions within the University are required to return all keys and be reissued appropriate keys for their new position/department. New keys will not be issued until keys from the previous position are returned to Facilities Management or University Housing Services.
Personnel leaving University employment will return all keys to Facilities Management or University Housing Services prior to the date of termination. Key clearance is a part of the University checkout procedure. Failure to return keys may result in assessment of a replacement fee and/or sent to University Collections.
Any key(s) found by a person other than the recorded key holder should be immediately returned to Facilities Management, University Housing Services or University Police.